With no reliable cell service or gas, It is important to be fully prepared before heading out to 13 mile Scenic Drive by planning for proper transportation and supplies:
- If you have your own vehicle (or rental) start with a full tank of gas and lots of water and snacks
- If you plan to use a taxi or ride-share (Uber, Lyft, etc), know that you will have to walk a mile just to get to the first trailhead, and you may be unable to summon a ride back due to lack of cell signal. Taxi or rideshare services can drive visitors through the Scenic Drive and fees for this, walk-in's, and all other vehicles are listed here.
- Plan to visit very early in the day or in the evening to avoid the worst of the heat and crowds. Check the weather here.
- You will need to carry lots of water, especially in the extreme heat of summer.
- Be sure to check out the HIkes & Trails section to choose your hikes based on time required and difficulty level, found in the downloadable georeferenced maps for each trail, to make sure you are able to hike safely and exit the Canyon before closing time. These maps are very helpful to have on your phone once you are in the Canyon without cell signal.